1. Notify the United Synagogue burial office on 020 8950 7767 IMMEDIATELY and leave your name, the name of the deceased and a contact phone number.
If the burial office is closed and you would like to speak to someone for advice only, please call 07957 119 119 (this service is not available on Shabbat or Yom Tov).
2. Notify the Rabbi (and voluntary Chevra Kadisha if your synagogue has one). This is optional as the burial office will do this.
3. Obtain a death certificate from the doctor or hospital, stating the cause of death.
4. Make an appointment with the Registrar for Births and Deaths in the vicinity where the death occurred and obtain the death certificate.
5. Phone the burial office once you have been issued with the relevant documentation. The burial office will advise what to do next.
6. Once funeral arrangements have been made the burial office will contact the Synagogue Administrator who will assist with shiva chairs and prayer books and liaise with the Rabbi about the funeral and shiva. If you wish, you may contact your own Rabbi.
7. Speak personally with the Rabbi about the funeral service and shiva arrangements, and consider the text for the eulogy.
8. Notify family and friends of the arrangements.
You may find the following helpful: